5. Dont forget - this popular rhetoric - Testing (phase) is dead - That is biggest weakness in approaches about testing. What else can be the biggest weakness about something other than saying it is dead?
Whole idea of testing is dead is around these beliefs and notions (test yourself if you agree or not)
1. Testing (phase or role) makes developers complacent - a safety-net - remove it to make developers responsible.
2. with so much focus on automated unit testing, test driven development, continuous integration - developers are producing quality software anyway
3. Finding problems is no big deal, we know where problems are (this is what James Whittaker said in his EURO STAR 2011 keynote). So do we need what testers for?
4. With cloud as popular software delivery model - you don't bother about bugs leaking. Time and effort to fix and turn around bug is ridiculously LOW - why bother testing?
5. What for you have crowd sourcing? Beta testing? - throw your stuff to users - let them use and tell us where are the bugs (there should not be many as we are group of smart developers and we know where the bugs are)
Thus, the weakness in testing arises out of how we think about it and what we want it to do for us. Thinking idealistically about how software is made and used, applying models from other fields without properly customizing them and removing or de-emphasizing the human element in the system - are the key patterns of weakness in testing approaches
What do you people think?