Friday, November 16, 2007

Michael Bolton on "Software Bugs"

Continuing my earlier post on Dr Cem Kaner's comment, this time is about sharing views about software bugs by another leading light of context driven testing community - Michael Bolton.

Here are his views about "software bugs" (Again, these Michael's views in response to a question on the forum about Bugs - whole his reply stands on its own, I believe)

Personally, this is best advise that I have ever seen with respect to handing bugs by testers and how that decision impacts other stakeholders ... Read on ...

[Michael Bolton : Quote]

When I'm a tester, I'm concerned about trying to drive the project. As a project manager, that was my job. As a tester, my job was--and is--to ferret out information of any kind about the application that helps the project manager to achieve her goals. For me, this has a couple of implications.

First, I don't merely observe the product; I have to observe the things around the product--the platform, the systems with which the product interacts, the business processes, the anticipated or unanticipated users of the product, and so on. I try to be leery of recommendations to fix specific bugs, because in the past I spent too long going the other way--believing that I'm running the project when I'm not. (I'm arguably not a multimillionaire at least in part because in one company where I worked, company project managers had abdicated quality decisions to the testers and developers, which meant that we had a great, largely bug-free product that missed its market window by about a year.)

Second, there is one particular kind of bug that I will try to sell: bugs that make testing harder or slow it down. My goal is to reveal information about the product. Even if we do great testing, there are some things that we won't know about the product. Things that impinge on testing pose the risk of us knowing even less than we would otherwise.

So, with at least one eye firmly fixed on the context and the best judgement I can muster, I will advocate strongly

- to fix immediately bugs that block deeper or broader testing;
- to add testability (logging, scriptable interfaces, configurability, controllability, installability) to the product such that we can increase test coverage;
- to fix immediately trivial-looking bugs that add distraction and noise to the project effort--for example, typos that absolutely everyone will notice and report, such that the reporting and processing of the report will take time away from other coverage.

However, I also remind myself that we testers are vulnerable to representativeness bias--bugs that look trivially simply might be hard to fix, bugs that seem gnarly might be insignificant to the end-user, bugs that look hideously complex might have easy fixes, and so on. So I try to tell the absolute best story that I can about the bug and its worst ramifications, but I also acknowledge that I might not have the whole story about the technical or business reasons to fix or to defer a bug

[Michael Bolton: Unquote]

Shrini

No comments: